Monday 12 May 2014

Sign Language Week!

This week is NZSL Week!











We have a special guest in class on Tuesday morning, first thing.
Our sign language guru!

I have sprung it on the class rather suddenly, even though I have organised this a long time ago.
I did tell them on Friday, but they sometimes need a few tellings!

I put up a display over the weekend and prompted them to learn to finger spell their names.
One of them found my NZSL book which is old now (! from when I did the course at university!) and has blackened white photos (LOTS) which show a large number and variety of signs.

I have told them she is likely profoundly deaf.
D and Q think they know who it will be - someone they saw at Birchwood. They mentioned high heels and seemed less than positive - but mostly that is just their protective reaction to anything new.

I am looking forward to being a confident role model in this new and unknown (to them) situation!


No comments:

Post a Comment